Welcome to the PMSS Music Dept. website! Use this website to keep up to date on department policies, assignments and upcoming events. To view posts dedicated to your group, use the tags on the right.
Here are the final details for our upcoming trip to Maple Ridge Secondary for the SD42 Elementary Band Collaboration Afternoon! This is an exciting event–the first of its kind in over 30 years in our district!–and it will bring together close to 100 elementary band students in grades 5-7 from MRSS, GSS and PMSS. Students will collaborate with like-minded students in similar learning situations from across the district, building friendships, empathy, and teamwork skills in the process. Students will work with professional musicians to learn more about their instrument and musical techniques. They will also get the chance to learn from a different teacher (Brian Weingartner of MRSS and Duane Kirkpatrick of GSS) giving them the opportunity to develop new approaches to reading and playing music, learn from different perspectives than they get from me, and learn how to interpret the gestural language of different conductors – this develops students’ focus and attentiveness as well as their ability to express themselves through music.
COMMITMENT EXPECTATIONS: You may remember that we sent out the information about this event as an addition to the calendar in our January Newsletter. Parents and students were informed then that, as we need our whole “team” present for this important performance event, there was a one-week window to inform me if your child had a pre-existing commitment. If you did not inform me within that week window, your child is considered “committed” to this event. Here is a copy of that email that was sent out on January 5th: https://tinyurl.com/wt6lqj9
Please let me know if you have any questions and I would be happy to help. I am very much looking forward to this event and I hope you can see how positive and worthwhile of an experience it will be for your band student!
SD42 ELEMENTARY BAND COLLABORATION AFTERNOON
WHO: ALL Elementary Band Students (you do not need to fill out a field trip form as this was done in September). As this is an event on the calendar, it is extremely important and expected that ALL students attend.
WHEN: Friday February 28th, 12:30 pm – 5:30 pm
All students are required to meet in the PMSS Band Room no later than 12:30 pm.
WHERE: PMSS (meeting location for all students)
Maple Ridge Secondary School (21911 122 Ave, Maple Ridge)
Students will travel via school bus from PMSS to MRSS. Parents are to pick up their child at MRSS at 5:30 pm.
WHAT TO BRING: Your instrument, a pencil, your folder, your Standard of Excellence book and a snack (WRITE YOUR NAME ON EVERYTHING PLEASE).
Please let me know if your child has any medical issues that we should be aware of.
12:30 pm Meet at PMSS Band Room
12:45 pm Bus Load 1 Departs PMSS for MRSS (arrival at 12:55 pm)
1:15 pm Bus Load 2 Departs PMSS for MRSS (arrival 1:25 pm)
1:30 pm Massed Band rehearsal in MRSS Small Gym
3:15 pm Clinics with professional instrument specialists brought in from across the Lower Mainland!
4:15 pm Break (snack)
4:30 pm Warm-Up
5:00 pm Massed Band Performance in MRSS Gym (parents welcome to attend!)
5:30 pm Parent pick-up from MRSS
Students are reminded that they are representing PMSS and the community of Pitt Meadows on this field trip. Students are expected to be on their very best behaviour at all times on the bus and at MRSS. There will be elementary band students from across Maple Ridge and Pitt Meadows and our goal is to be the MOST respectful and professional group. Please also be sure to thank your bus driver, chaperones, conductors and clinicians!
We will be taking one bus in two trips to MRSS. Students will be divided as follows:
Bus Load 1: ALL AEB students, BEB students from DJE, EME, HPE
Bus Load 2: BEB students from PME only
We are in need of 2-3 parent chaperones to assist with this field trip. If you are able to attend please let me know. Your job would include taking attendance on the bus, circulating the hallways at MRSS to help any lost elementary band students, and taking lots of photos! Please email Mr. Renaud if you are able to help.
MASSED BAND PERFORMANCE
This event will culminate in an exciting Massed Band performance featuring all elementary band students from MRSS, GSS and PMSS. Students will play pieces they learned throughout the afternoon and parents are encouraged to attend. It will be at 5:00 pm in the MRSS Gymnasium. We hope to see you all there!
QUESTIONS? If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact Mr. Renaud.
Phone: 604-465-7141 (ext. 58263)
Beginner Elementary Band students – you can use these recordings to help you! Practice along with them or simply listen so that you can start to figure out how each piece goes.
Walk in Sherwood – https://www.apromusic.com/download/walk-in-sherwood.mp3
AEB students – use these recordings to practice. They should help you to get a feel for the pieces.
Caribbean Breeze (Victor Lopez) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsfT20vRFkc
Blue Rock (Dale Lauder) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjPFcx_Kb1U
BONUS QUARTER NOTE if you come to class on Wednesday and you are able to name ONE island in the Caribbean! You must write it on a piece of paper and bring it to class.
As Winds Dance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf_vFzcuGoo
Midieval Legend: https://www.alfred.com/medieval-legend/p/00-BDM01029/
Advanced Elementary Band – here is Caribbean Breeze – use the recording to practice along to and get to know the correct rhythms and notes!
A huge thank you to all the businesses and residents who sponsored our Winter Concerts this year by donating an item to our very successful Silent Auction! Of course the best way to thank these businesses is by giving them YOUR business! Please see below for the name of the business and their generous donation.
- Starbucks MeadowVale – gift basket
- Save-on-Foods Pitt Meadows – $50.00 Western Family gift basket
- Waves Coffee Pitt Meadows- gift basket
- Pet Planet – $50.00 gift card
- Real Canadian Superstore – $50.00 gift card
- Tim Horton’s Meadowtown Centre – gift basket
- Hollywood 3 Cinema
- Boston Pizza
- Stomping Grounds Café and Bistro
- Astra Concrete – Canucks tickets and restaurant gift card ($100), donated by Kevin Cunha
- Capture Studios Video and Photography, owner Ariane Jaschke – family photo session valued at $225
- Sole Experience, owner Eric Muller – running program
- Blenz Coffee, Meadowtown Centre – coffee gift box
- Pitt Meadows Recreation Center
- Global Coffee for donating coffee to serve tonight
The concert will feature the following:
- Performance by all elementary and secondary bands and our secondary choir as well as student-led groups!
- A SILENT AUCTION where you can bid on many items donated by our music department families and a plethora of local businesses – all proceeds go toward improving the music department
- Samples of coffee from Global Coffee – this is preview of our next fundraiser. You may place an order for some coffee ($15/bag) and $5 will go toward your music student’s fundraising account which they can use towards music trips, books, fees, etc.
- A food table full of finger foods – potluck like last time so please send something (sweets, chips, veggies, etc.)
- Purdy’s Chocolates pick-up – if you participated in this fundraiser and ordered chocolate. we will have a table set-up for you to get your order.
*if a student or a small group of students has a song prepared and would like to perform it at the concert, please let Mr. Renaud via email by SUNDAY at 3:00 pm.
Odds and ends:
- We are decorating the Multipurpose Room around 3:00 pm. If you have any Christmas decorations lying around that you don’t want anymore, please send them our way!
- If you have not sent in your family’s donation for our Silent Auction,please do so by tomorrow. More information on this in this previous email: https://mailchi.mp/7ff23c65b2f0/winter-concert-silent-auction?e=13aa9a50e0
- Please ensure your student has a proper UNIFORM. Students will not be allowed on stage if they are not in proper attire. More information in this previous email: https://mailchi.mp/7ff23c65b2f0/winter-concert-silent-auction?e=13aa9a50e0
- As our Food Table will be free again, we ask that you please send in something to the concert (chips, baked good, veggies, etc.). This was a hit at our last concert!
- Admission is BY DONATION to the music department, but we will also be accepting donations for the local food bank.
- Students are expected to stay for the duration of the concert.Concerts are the equivalent of term exams for music students; part of learning music involves performing as well as listening to other groups perform. Also, every group deserves a large and supportive audience!
SCHEDULE – WEDNESDAY DECEMBER 11th
7:30 am – Secondary Concert Band Dress Rehearsal in the morning (all marks associated with this particular rehearsal will be DOUBLED as it is a dress rehearsal. Please be there if you are in SCB)
2:45 pm – Concert Set-Up. All SECONDARY band and choir students are expected to help with set-up. If we all pitch in, it should only take us an hour!
6:00 pm – Massed Band Rehearsal. ALL Band students, grades 6-12 must be ON stage (in UNIFORM) in the Multipurpose Room at this time. Students should arrive early enough to have their instruments set up and be on stage to START rehearsal at 6:00.
6:15 pm – All parent volunteers please meet in the Main Foyer.
6:30 pm – CALL TIME for all CHOIR students to the Choir Room, in UNIFORM. Doors Open to the Audience, Silent Auction begins!
7:00 pm – Winter Concert 2019!
9:00 pm (or earlier) – Concert Take-Down. All students are expected to assist with concert clean-up. Concert-goers may continue to bid at the silent auction –the auction will close 30 minutes after the end of the concert. Winners may pay for and pick up their item at this time, or they may pick it up at a later date.